Monday, October 31, 2016

Reflections on The Power of Word Pictures

Reflections on Word Pictures Friends, readers, writers, thought you would enjoy another essay that will be in our new book, Reflections: Journey to God. Our book is going through the editing process with Christian Faith Publishing. We will keep you posted on the progress.

For me there are many ways to connect with the Divine. In particular, I enjoy writing and creating word pictures about nature, which places me in the spiritual zone of the now. Here is my meditation about Yachats.

Word pictures bring me into the moment. If you have problems getting yourself centered, here's a little exercise I've learned that helps me be present. I ask myself, "what do I see?" (for instance, the ocean); "what do I hear?" (for instance, the ticking of a clock); finally "what do I physically feel?)" the cool arms of the chair I'm sitting in.

I close my eyes and ask myself these three things very slowly. If done correctly, at the end of the third repetition I'm perfectly centered.

I have another way I center myself to get into the moment. I first heard about it from Reverend Jim Lee (Unity Minister from Detroit). He says to breathe in and out slowly to relax your body, and then think of something that brings you true joy, something that makes you smile. At the end of only 10 seconds of pondering your joy, you will be centered.

So, let me paint some word pictures for you. They don't necessarily have to be from nature. It can be a photo of a grandchild, a picture on your wall or desk, or a vase of flowers on the table. Anything that speaks to you.

Nature speaks to me...

To read more, just follow this link:  More Free Essays Here



No comments:

Post a Comment